Are you an artist or a singer with a show date on hand?
As soon as you’re ready with a set list of pieces worked at your studio, it’s necessary that you know how it is going to sound in an open realm. You are sure to put up a fantastic show – only when you can hear how you say.
When a singer is up on stage, there should be nothingness between the speakers and the performer’s ears. This void can be achieved by getting rid of traditional floor wedges, amplifiers, and monitors.
Conventionally, there is an inclination towards using floor wedges that face the band and not the audience as the latter hear from the loudspeakers. Nevertheless, these huge wedge-shaped monitors induce problems leaving your set deranged and your ears damaged.
In-ear monitors or IEMs are designed distinctively to suit the needs of artists and performers. You do not have to worry about any of these issues as in-ear monitors are steadily becoming the criterion of live concerts.
The Top Things to Know About An IEM
So how do in-ear monitors work your way out? Why do singers prefer it over other popular methods?
Here are some relevant things you must know about them.
What does an in-ear monitor consist of?
The in-ear monitor’s system consists of 3 parts: the receiver, transmitter and a pair of earphones.
The earphones are what you plug into your ears.
The receiver consists of a knob to manage sound modulation, and the earpiece is connected to it.
The transmitter is usually placed on the side and does the work of transmitting the audio of the performer to the receiver. This audio is also known as monitor mix.
How is it useful to work for performers?
As an artist or a music lover, you are sure to want something that makes the experience easy for you. IEM’s help does precisely that, ensuring that you are in sync with all other performers.
You don’t have to worry about performing in front of large crowds and not being able to hear what your other performers are saying, or being able to change tune as and when you need.
IEM’s help you stay in the loop at all times; here is why.
- As a professional performer, by using in-ear monitors, you can choose to listen to whichever instrument you want to and exactly when. So while you are singing on the microphone, the guitarist or the drummer can keep you in harmony with adequate volume.
- It enables you to make interaction with the audience from anywhere on the stage. Stage monitors become messy and block your way, and this issue is resolved with in-ear monitors. Hearing even from a distance is not a problem as you have the earphones on and you can listen to whatever is required with substantial clarity.
- You get fantastic hearing quality with in-ear monitors. The receiver stays with you, and the volume can be turned up or down according to your hearing ability. You are also free to do away with asking the sound engineer to turn you up, causing unnecessary confusion.
- It is necessary you maintain an open space between yourself and the loudspeakers facing the audience. By the elimination of monitors and wedges, in-ear – monitors assure you clarity of hearing and provide quite a lot of distance away from the speakers.
- When you have finished singing, you can favorably turn off your monitor and put it back on once you are back on the stage.
- In-ear monitors reduce the trouble of carrying along wedges and amplifiers. If you have a small gig to attend but a considerable band to accompany, in-ear monitors are compact and portable and do not take up any extra space.
- It would be highly embarrassing if the monitors emitted feedback during your performance. In-ear monitors empower you with a vigorous performance without the headache of feedback, depending on the frequency.
- In-ear monitors prevent you from straining your voice. To hear your self, against all the live and loud music is almost next to impossible and leads to vocal straining affecting the performer’s voice quality. With an IEM, you can endlessly hear yourself with improved sharpness and precision.
It is acutely mandatory for professionals to have coherent hearing abilities. Often, with the experience of numerous performances, it is possible that the singers’ hearing quality subsides with roaring loudspeakers. It comes with the aftermath of ear problems. In-ear monitors thus give you a safe and healthy hearing experience with quality and clarity.
The requirement of wires is out of the question, and your movement around dramatically appeals to the audience.
Things you must be careful of while using IEMs
Looking to get hold of an IEM but don’t know where to start? Here is a look at all the things that you should take note of.
In-ear monitors can make you feel isolated till you get well acquainted with it. So it is mandatory that you constantly use it during your performances. This is not a drawback as most professionals gain comfort from their very first use.
The audiologist crafts the earphones according to the shape of the ear with a mold. You must ensure that once the form is prepared, it fits you accurately. The proper sealing helps to eradicate outside noise to a large extent.
Make sure your transmitter and receiver are locked at equal frequencies for high fidelity sound delivery and to avoid disconnections.
Generic in-ear monitors come with a single earpiece. But custom in-ear monitors are a complete system and are recommended by most sound engineers.
IEMs are quite a revelation as they protect your hearing, give you the best monitor mix and consistent and improved sound quality. Are you looking forward to getting your own IEM now?